2.24.2016

ARK Sunday Suppers: A Moving Testimony from Sophie McIntyre

Written by Sophie McIntyre, Gr. 12

Last week, the Girls’ High School hosted a dodgeball tournament in support of ARK. The girls formed teams of ten members, five players were in Junior High and five players were in Senior High, and each player offered a donation of $5 to participate. The teachers also fielded a team.

It was an exciting 35 minute period as students and faculty alike tested their reflexes as balls flew across the gym. In the end, the teachers’ team had a narrow victory against the finalist student team!


The dodgeball tournament was a fun event but more importantly, it raised money for a unique program in our local community. ARK is a nonprofit organization that offers a youth drop in centre (basic clothing, sanitary facilities, and many other services) and a weekly Sunday Supper. The dodgeball tournament raised $200 and all of it went to ARK.


Every week, there are Sacred Heart students who volunteer at the ARK Sunday Suppers. The ARK Suppers provide a hot meal to anyone who is need: single men and women, youth, families. The spirit of the Suppers is not characterized by the necessity of food, rather, it is characterized by the community that is brought together each Sunday. There are guests who have attended the Suppers since its inception in 1985 and continue to come because of the safe and friendly environment that ARK has created. As volunteers, the girls serve the meals and drinks, distribute desserts, and interact with the 200+ guests. The ARK Supper is not a soup kitchen; volunteers come and serve the meals to the tables and as a result, it encourages meaningful interactions that transcends socio-economic barriers.

(photo above left to right: Maria, Sophie and Karen. They led the dodgeball fundraiser for ARK)

Sophie's testimony about regularly helping with the ARK Sunday Suppers.


"In November of 2014, I attended my first ARK Sunday Supper. It was both overwhelming and humbling. I was immediately struck with the sense of community and belonging. I wanted to be a part of this community so I began to attend the Suppers regularly and encouraged other students to join me. I have made meaningful connections with guests and volunteers alike. As a result, the Suppers have become an important part of my life and I look forward to being a part of this community every week.


I could go on about the Suppers, but I won’t! The most important thing the Suppers have taught me is that making a difference in the world is quite simple; I don’t need to travel halfway across the world. The Suppers made me realize the potential I have as a young adult to make a difference in my local community and how crucial it is to not turn a blind eye at the issues confronting my community. These small acts of kindness (as simple as looking directly in the eye of another and asking how their week was) have the potential to become big themselves. Before tackling the world’s problems, I think I’ll stick to my local community and see what changes I can bring there."


The ARK Sunday Suppers run every Sunday at St. Andrew’s United Church (6036 Coburg Rd.) from 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM. Volunteers under the age of 16 must be accompanied by adult supervision.


The "Coldest Night of the Year Walk" in support of ARK took place on Saturday, Feb. 20th and these young ladies did the walk with hundreds of other people and along with a number of Sacred Heart staff and students.