6.11.2013

Headmistress' Letter - June 11, 2013


Dear Colleagues and Families,

As I sat down to write this letter, a poem by Ted Loder* entered my head:   
How silently, how silently
the wonderous gift is given.
I would be silent now,
           and expectant -
that I might receive the gift I need
                  to become a
                          gift that others need.

Soon, our year will close with traditional Prize Ceremonies, Graduations, and other opportunities for expressions of growth and gratitude. I am grateful for some silent time last weekend that led me to realize, I don't want my first year at SHSH to come to an end. Throughout these past 10 months the wonderous gift was given. You welcomed me into the community, and helped me claim this school as my own. I love it here and could not have asked for more in this first year among you. 

I am very proud of our students for their tremendous accomplishments, their kindness, the way they look adults in the eye and communicate, the doors they hold for others, the awareness, curiosity, boldness, joy, honesty, initiative, laughter, homesick tears, hugs, and back-slapping that they share. Our students are engaged in life. They open themselves to growth. They are learning, stretching. They make me proud.

I am deeply grateful to my colleagues who pour themselves out in the service of education - be it in a classroom, keeping the grounds, office work, or cleaning the hallways late at night ... we have a team that goes the extra mile for our students. And, they enjoy and sppot one another. We are blessed.
I thank God for our parents, alums, grandparents, PALs, and friends. You bring warmth and make possible many positive unique experiences because you are connected, giving back, housing or billeting students, and supporting our School in countless ways. Among you are members of the Board, and Board Committees, the Parents' Guild, and Alumnae/i Executive. We spend hours in meetings, execute great ideas, have fun at events, and I know you share my gratitude for the tremendous power of our strong community.

Our school is absolutely unique. Nobody else has Congé or Primes, no others have brother and sister schools across our world - school cousins who share the same goals. The values embedded in a Sacred Heart education are the strongest way to serve young people today, and our connections throughout the world will guide us throughtomorrow.

I know we need a summer vacation; our graduates need to move on; our Junior Primary children are ready for Primary. I look forward to my annual retreat - to enter into 8 days of silence to be expectant and receptive, and to simply be with the wonderous gift of this year. You will remain in my prayers.

With warmth and gratitude,                                     
Sr. Anne Wachter
*Ted Loder, Guerrillas of Grace