11.28.2012

Headmistress' Letter, 28 November 2012


Dear Colleagues and Families,

Several weeks ago, we took photos for the School Christmas card. Head Girl Tina Kim, Ted Bursey, Jaden Lawen and little Eva Lumsden in Senior Primary were wearing winter clothes, but Eva did not want to wear her mittens. After three gentle requests, she finally put them on and went with the flow. But, something was on her mind. Talking about the photo experience that night, she told her dad she did not want to put on her mittens. When he asked the reason, Eva replied: “Because Dad, what if I was got to hold Tina Kim’s hand?”

Wow.
Her young mind and heart were in sync - what a profound message. 

I saw Tina a couple of days later … she remembered Eva’s resistance to wearing her mittens. As I told her why Eva did not want them on, tears rolled down Tina’s face.  Tina understood. In her position of leadership, our Head Girl was given a rare and clear view into the esteem that younger children have for her. 

At Sacred Heart, our younger students look to the older students and find very good role models indeed - healthy teenagers and young adults who are beyond smart, they are on the road to wisdom  … the kind of wisdom that knows that sometimes - mittens might just get in the way of what is most important.

At Christmas, the disarming presence of a child awakens ancient and eternal wisdom deep in our souls.  Eva’s question leads me to ask: Whose bare hand do I want to hold? Can I imagine that God is longing to hold my hand? Do any of us realize the profound impact of our presence or example?  And, I say to myself: pay attention, resistances just might be communicating something profound!

 Our Advent season of expectant waiting officially begins on Sunday. For me, it has already begun! Let’s listen to the wisdom of children – unencumbered, honest, and full of promise.

With love and prayers,
Sr. Wachter