9.29.2013

I Won't Miss It Next Year

On September 26th, I had commitments and could not participate in the Terry Fox run.  I won't miss it next year - here's why:

Dear Anne,
When I was 8 years old, returning from [my Dad's] sabbatical year outside of Canada, with no understanding of who Terry Fox was, I saw him running along the highway in northern New Brunswick with his friend Doug's white van behind for support.  I did Terry Fox Runs through elementary school. His spirit is a part of who I am.  His story is one of the stories that always makes me cry, and he is one of the reasons why I am proud to be Canadian.  He was an exceptional human being.  I want to be like Terry.
Love,
Steve

Dear Steve,At the breakfast table on Friday, I tried to read aloud to Anne Marie and Donna your email about Terry Fox - what he means to you.  I couldn't get through it. Thank you for sharing your deep passion. I think Terry is one example of "Jesus" alive today - giving himself & dying an early death in order to help save others. And, Terry did it rather simply - he put himself out there for people to drive by and take notice. People were changed forever.


Thank you for carrying forth his mission, for changing me.
Love, Anne

*Used with permission!